Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Africa VI: Shira Camp - Barranco Camp

Day 3: Shira (3840 m) - Lava Tower (4630 m) - Barranco camp (3950 m). Hiking time: 7 hours

Kilimanjaro 025
Woke up in the freezing morning to take photos of the stars...

Kilimanjaro 026
And as you can see, it was well worth it..

Kilimanjaro 027
The snow capped peaks against the starry sky.

Kilimanjaro 028
The magical moment before the sun rose.

Kilimanjaro 029
And the sky just kept changing colours..

Kilimanjaro 030
This is probably the only toilet in the world set against such a majestic backdrop.

Kilimanjaro 031
Where the sky and the ground met..

Kilimanjaro 032
And we continue to climb... and climb.. and climb...

Kilimanjaro 033
Cool dude.

Kilimanjaro 034
Our porters overtaking us. (Even though we set off hours earlier..)

Kilimanjaro 035
Man on the Moon?

This was probably the most tortuous part of the climb. I was probably having the worst headache of my life. It was just incapacitating. It reached its zenith at lunchtime and I threw away most of my uneaten food. While my friends continued up to Lava Tower, I had to make my way straight back to the next campsite. And the rain did nothing to lift our morale. We were all wet, cold and miserable by the time we reached the next camp...

No comments: