Saturday, August 14, 2010

Africa V: Machame Camp - Shira Camp

Day 2: Machame camp (2980 m) - Shira camp (3840 m). Hiking time: 6 hours

Kilimanjaro 014
Pre-dawn at Machame camp. Above the sea of clouds.

Kilimanjaro 015
Friends trying to blow mist into the cold morning air..

Kilimanjaro 016
Stella point as seen from our campsite.

Kilimanjaro 017
Ivy trying to take a photo on my tripod.

Kilimanjaro 018
Our campsite above the clouds.

Kilimanjaro 019
And the sun rose from behind the peaks of Kilimanjaro..

Kilimanjaro 020
Panorama of the view around. Enlarge to see properly.

Kilimanjaro 021
One of the many stops we made on our way up. These stops are the only respite in between the arduous climb from camp to camp..

Kilimanjaro 022
Group shot. Still looking alive! (at this point..)

Kilimanjaro 023
Our guides. Climbing is like taking a stroll for them.

Kilimanjaro 024
On the rocks.

The thin air then gave me such a splitting headache that I stopped taking photos and starting taking painkillers. Every step sent a thump right to my head. I told myself "I'm going to give up. I'm not doing this anymore" with every step I took. But somehow, I reached the next camp..

No comments: